Thursday, January 15, 2009

Indie 103.1 Says Goodbye


A few years back I stumbled onto a Los Angeles radio station that brought a smile to my face and a huge swell to my heart. Indie 103.1 was playing "Lucky Denver Mint" by Jimmy Eat World and they followed it up with "Floyd The Barber" by Nirvana. From that moment on I always had a place for Indie on my dial and they blossomed into something more special and beautiful than I could have imagined. The shear volume of great artists that I was introduced to through this radio station is astronomical. The program directors were smart enough to have tons of specialty shows, including metal, reggae, local, and worldwide alternative. Over the years I have enjoyed Passport Approved on Saturdays, and spent many fine hours listening to Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols from Noon to Two during the week. Jones' show featured many, many guests such as Iggy Pop, Pete Townsend,Eddie Vedder, Adam Sandler, Julliette, Lewis, Rainn Wilson, Dominic Monaghan, Courtney Love, Jonah Hill, Moby, Dennis Hopper, Steve Buscemi, Johnny Knoxville, Rosanna Arquette, Perry Farrell, Robert Plant, Brian Wilson, members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, The Breeders, Sonic Youth, The Cult, Stray Cats and of course his band mates John Lydon and Paul Cook.

Indie was the first Los Angeles radio station to play Lily Allen, MGMT, Arcade Fire and seamlessly jump from Morrissey to The Velvet Underground. I will miss this station immensely and will never forget the joy they brought me. They will try and continue on the internet at this point and you can find that here.

From Bob Dylan, Please enjoy...
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright mp3
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright buy

No comments: