Saturday, January 24, 2009

Skid Row























It was 20 years ago today, Jan 24 1989, that the debut album by New Jersey's Skid Row was released. I was 12 years old and it floored me. I didn't know or care of hipster indie bands or any of the great punk records that were floating around at the time. I know I wasn't alone because Skid Row's self titled album went on to sell 10 million copies and that's no joke.

The album contained the bands three biggest hits, "Youth Gone Wild", 18 And Life", and one of the all time great metal ballads "I Remember You". What I find intriguing is that there were apparently 10 more songs written for the album, but they never saw the light of day. There's probably a good reason they were cut, but my curiosity still peaks.

Don't deny your roots. If you liked this album when it came out, throw it on and see if it still moves you. I have a feeling that it will at least bring some pleasent memories back. I am featuring a track that has always been my favorite off this album. The lyrics are extremly lame, but they made sense at the time and I wouldn't change a thing. I love this killer riff, it's so sinister and they seemed to have trimmed all the useless fat. Please enjoy...

Piece Of Me mp3

Buy the album

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeh, I was 11 or 12 when I first heard that album, and it became my favourite for a while. Then one day, just as quickly as it had become my favourite, I couldn't listen to it anymore. And now I don't have a copy to throw on.